Friday, June 27, 2008

my avatar made me do it


My first experience in Second Life started out as a decision to just go to the main page, maybe sign up, and just see what it was about. It ended an hour or so later.

That's not to say that I was loving it, but I was challenged and intrigued. One female avatar just walked up to mine -- named Parx Galicia -- and gave him a kiss! I'm not sure whether that was sweet or creepy, but it made me aware that "there really are others here."

It's easy to go from place to place, and I checked out some SLURLS I'd heard about. The dream-like imagery was interesting and I marveled at the computing power and programming behind the whole thing.

I find it fascinating, and kind of disturbing, that it's so natural to identify with a controllable image on a screen. I find it weird that so many people spend so much time with it.

The bottom line is that I will use SL beyond this class, at least some. Not for the fantasy part, but because there are legitimate and interesting happenings and educational opportunities in Second Life. It's clearly popular and robust enough that it's worth knowing about from the inside.

I wanted to make a shirt for my avatar that says "Escapism sucks," but I'm afraid he'd get beat up.

No comments: