I hate shopping and, before this week, I’d barely played video games at all since my brother and I had an Odyssey PlayStation in the 80s. So, in real life, I would not hesitate to ask for all the help I could get from people who know better.
Here’s what I think I would do:
- First, I would try to get out of it. If that didn't work, I'd:
- Talk to gamers, especially the real nerds who follow the newest developments and own more than one console themselves
- Informally survey students to see what they play, what they like, what they'd want, etc.
- Play games – as many types as possible, including the scarey MMOPGs
- Go online and use search engines to find out more about how other libraries or public institutions are using games
- Talk to librarians who are doing it at Ann Arbor and elsewhere
- The audience, which would mostly be undergrads -- but also staff (could be part of special events or "game days" in the staff lounge)
- Their need: they would be looking for diversion, socializing, and movement, NOT more sit-down “education” or "work"
- Negative vs. positive influences of a game's imagery (I know, the kids have seen it all, I just don’t want to be a part of the negative stuff)
- the library's mission statement: what do we hope would come out of it -- more than just "circulating books"?
- advertising -- there would need to be a clever way of inviting students via students (wouldn't need to advertise to staff beyond a sign and an e-mail)
- prices - I'm pretending there's a modest budget
- Provide a nice space for the avid gamers to plug in and do their MMO thing
- Provide some free games that involve physical activity, like DANCE!online
- Put some money (less than $400) into a Wii console - it's versatile, involves moving around, includes non-bloody, cooperative games, and it looks cool.*
No comments:
Post a Comment