Friday, June 13, 2008

wet paint in my peanut butter

This is my beginner's comparison of two wiki services: WetPaint and PBWiki. For a professional comparison, try these tables (from wikimatrix).

From my project-minded point of view, both of these services work well enough: they can be set up and taken down within minutes and allow for ample customization to get the job done and they both are FREE (PB has for-pay versions). I've been using PBWiki more, so it's starting to take on that comforting aura of familiarity. I don't necessarily like its look or feel, but I'm learning where things are, and how add and edit elements. My WetPaint account has seen less use, and is still a little like a strange neighborhood. Its feel when editing is quite different (and the result not as slick as the WetPaint homepage), but I have to say that I've been especially impressed with the ease of adding widgets, namely videos (here's my sloppy test page). But, then PB has its "Plugins."

I'm not sold on either, but, as someone who had never edited a wiki before, I'm pleased with the ease of use that both offer, and their functional versatility. I would have been content to stick with PB, but I may have to go with WetPaint, if I had to choose just one. Tests are ongoing...

No comments: