Thursday, June 12, 2008

Digg...

... is kind of like StumbleUpon, with a human algorithm. It’s an interesting way to explore the Web. Rather than trying to exhaustively search for interesting or useful fragments, the Digg community helps each other, like a team of amateur archaeologists, and the result is a more holistic snapshot of what’s out there. People tag ("digg") items and you, the user, determine what diggs to view and how, as well as what you want to add to the mix. As with any good 2.0 site, it has a "clique feature": it can be limited to hand-picked friends. But doesn't have to be.

The interface is simple and easy to navigate. Main categories of excavated diggs are: news, videos, images, and podcasts. There is also a sub-menu of categories (which themselves have subcategories) under each of these. There is a lot of ability to customize, particularly under a settings tab (customize > settings), which allows you to filter topics, to pinpoint what you want to be viewing. Just one other useful feature is the ability to RSS specific search terms. Digg could be used for serious research, as well as leisure or virtual socializing. There's a lot to the service, and a lot more to be found through it.


But here's my favorite bit
: a set of experimental visualizations, showing the activity of the community. [WARNING: may distract from homework.]

2 comments:

Anytown College Library said...

I used Digg too and absolutely loved the premise of it. I found so many cool sites and articles that I probably never would have known about. You outlined the services that Digg offers very concisely!

TB Foster said...

Your post would make me want to try this site mainly because I enjoyed how eloquently you described Digg and its features. Personally sites like this overwhelm me and I think I would waste too much time "digging" for the information I was truly interested in. However, I really liked your points, especially the one about being able to RSS search terms and I would join Digg even though I have my own hesitations.