Tuesday, June 17, 2008

learnin' some SCILS

study aids
You know what? I think my educational experience at SCILS has largely been one of learning to accept a
overwhelm as a lifestyle.

Among all the useful and interesting things I’ve picked up about information seeking behavior, searching techniques, Web design, etc., I’ve been steadily practicing things like being in a
constant state of partial attention (multi-tasking) and pushing beyond comfort zones (e.g., the bedtime zone).

It remains to be seen what I’ll actually retain and use from all of this, and which relationships will remain -- ask me in 15 years -- but these are
survival skills for the info overload age, or whatever we want to call it. And I guess it does give me an advantage over my former self, and over my more comfortable and overslept colleagues.

Anyway, the images of this experience tend to be pretty repetitive: my computer, books, my computer, my tea cup, my computer, etc. I've put some of them up on Flickr, and my classmates have too. Check them out.

No comments: